The gatw Spring Break Menu
***** - a true 5 star establishment... better than most other geography offerings!Ms Mart - Author of geogalot.com, Head of Individuals and Societies, Campus des Nations
We would like to recommend you might like to do at least two of these.
Listen to some podcasts
Recommended podcast episodes which link to topics recently covered:
- BBC News - The Inquiry - How Do You Make People Have Babies?
- BBC News - The Inquiry - How Will a Population Boom Change Africa?
- BBC News - The Documentary Podcast - Morocco’s hash trail to Europe
- BBC News - The Compass - Glaciers - Living on the Edge
We would like to recommend you might like to do two or three of these.
Pre-reading for the next units
After Spring Break we will be completing 1.3 Challenges and opportunities and starting 2.1 Causes of global climate change. Use this opportunity to get a bit of a head start with some reading related to the topics and concepts we will be covering. Recommended reading:
- 1.3 Challenges and opportunities - Ageing societies
- 2.1 Causes of global climate change
- If you can get a copy of it - Climate Change (A Ladybird Expert Book) is an excellent introduction to Unit 2. One of the authors is related to somebody you know!
- Alternative - Observed Changes and their Causes from the Climate Change 2014 Synthesis Report - Fifth Assessment Report.
Read or listen to a book
If you haven't yet, now is the time to read or listen to Factfulness. You could order a paper copy, download it for Kindle (or similar) or listen to it via a service such as Audible. There is no need to read it in English if you do not want to - it is available in 30 languages.
If you have read Factfulness already - may we suggest the following:
- Prisoners of Geography - Tim Marshall [available in print, electronic and audio forms].
- Final Call - Leo Hickman [available in print and electronic forms].
- Geography: Ideas in Profile - Danny Dorling and Carl Lee [available in print and electronic forms].
Work on your Geography Extended Essay
For all of you who were sensible enough to do a Geography Extended Essay - how about using some of the additional 'time' you have due to the lockdown to get ahead with your research. You should have confirmed your research question so now is time to start working on your outline.
We would like to recommend you might like to do as many of these as you want to.
Netflix and ... learn some Geography
If you have access to Netflix and if the series is available to you - watch ROTTEN. Series 2 in particularly good for IB DP Geography.
Watch some documentaries on YouTube
If you have any recommendations for other documentaries on YouTube - please let us know.
Follow some 'useful' social media
- geog.alltheway - geographyalltheway's Instagram account
- who - World Health Organization
- natgeo - Experience the world through the eyes of National Geographic photographers.
- greenpeaceuk - Greenpeace UK
Review this menu
Please let us know what you enjoyed, what could have been better and what we could have added. Contact us via through the normal channels.