Teacher inspection tour to Morocco - October 2023
27th - 29th October 2023
An opportunity for Geography teachers to explore the superb range of geographical learning experiences available to students who undertake a field study trip to Morocco.
Typical inspection tour programme
Day 1 - Friday
- Plan to arrive on an early morning flight to Marrakech.
- Lunch in Marrakech and an afternoon orientation tour around the medina/souk.
- Transfer to the mountain village of Imlil for an evening meal and hotel/reflection time.
Day 2 - Saturday
- Breakfast followed by an orientation tour around the mountain villages of Arremd and Imlil (water/carbon cycle, water management, the impact of tourism, sustainable development, etc.).
- Opportunities to meet with members of the local community.
- Evening meal/reflection time.
Day 3 - Sunday
- Depart Imlil after breakfast to visit the hot desert scenery of the Agafay Desert (outside Marrakech).
- Lunch in the Agafay Desert.
- Possible visits to Gueliz (new town) and/or the Marjorelle gardens in Marrakech before flying home.
The aims of the inspection tour
- Explore the potential benefits of bringing GCSE/ International Baccalaureate /A‐level students to undertake field studies in various environments within a different culture/context.
- Visit a range of key sites of geographical interest, including urban development in Marrakech, processes and landforms in hot deserts, aspects of the water and carbon cycles, water management, responsible tourism and the sustainable development of local communities.
- Identify opportunities for incorporating aspects of a different culture (e.g. religion, society, and environment) within the curriculum.
Discover Ltd has a proud record of organising field trips in Morocco for school and university students for over 40 years. We are fastidious in working with and supporting local communities to ensure that all our visitors leave the gentlest footprints on both places and communities.
Morocco offers a unique and wide range of opportunities for field study in a safe but awe‐inspiring environment. Discover Ltd has published extensive educational resources for students (GCSE, International Baccalaureate, and A‐level) and teachers to support field studies in Morocco. These are available at www.discover.ltd.uk.
The trip leaders
Mike McHugo, the founder of Discover Ltd, has been running educational study tours in Morocco since 1978, and Education For All which helps to provide access to secondary education for girls from the rural High Atlas.
Richard Allaway is an international geography educator, having spent nearly two decades working in European international schools. He is a prolific author and curator of digital teaching resources with his website geographyalltheway.com and associated projects.
He is a specialist in the teaching of International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme Geography. He has taken many trips to Morocco, with Discover Ltd, with students from the International School of Geneva - Campus des Nations.
All ground operations (transport, twin occupancy accommodation, tours, and food) in Morocco will be provided by Discover Ltd free of charge.
You need to pay for and book your flights to and from Marrakech, any necessary transit and travel/health insurance.
Discover Ltd will be happy to advise on flights – currently, Easyjet offers reasonable rates with morning departures to and evening departures from Marrakech.
Reserving a place
For further information and to reserve a place, please get in touch with Discover Limited by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Places are limited to 10 max and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.