Comparing Population Data
Population data can be used to visualise the development progression that a country has experienced. Watch the video below to explore the development progression of Norway and Niger.
With reference to data compare and explain three different population characteristics for Switzerland and Niger.
Your assessment will include two elements:
- Visualizations for three different population characteristics that compare Switzerland and Niger.
- An essay comparing and explaining the differences between the population characteristics for each country.
You need to produce three visualizations/graphs before you start your essay. Each graph needs to focus upon one variable - such as Crude Death Rate. The variable will be on the vertical axis and time will be along the horizontal axis. You will plot the data for both Switzerland and Niger upon the same set of axis. Ensure you don't choose data sets that are too similar - having one graph of Percentage aged 0-4 and then one of Percentage 15-24 would be too similar and make it harder for you to attain the highest levels.
- Consider the different data variables - choose three different variables that you want to use to compare Switzerland and Niger.
- Carefully plot your three graphs. They need to be clearly presented so take time to consider the scale of the axis you use.
- Make notes that describe and compare the graphs and the similarities and differences between the data trends for Switzerland and Niger.
- Make notes that explain the similarities and differences between the data trends for Switzerland and Niger.
- Write your essay that does the following: 'With reference to data compare and explain three different population characteristics for Switzerland and Niger'. Suggested word count: 750 words.