Task One - Listen → Summarize
Listen to the following radio programme about the issues associated with an ageing population and try and summarize a main point using just 140 characters (like on Twitter):
Task Two - Definitions and Questions
- Define the following terms:
- Ageing Population
- Population Policy
- Name four European countries that are projected to experience population decline by 2031.
- Name four European countries that are predicted to have population growth over 20%.
- List as many impacts as you can of a country having an ageing population. Try to categorise the impacts as being social, economic or political. Try to list both positive and negative impacts.
- Describe and explain four steps that a country's government could take to manage an ageing population.
Task Three - Reading and Note Making
- Why are the Japanese population living so long?
The Guardian - Solving Japan's age-old problem [20 March 2010]
- How are the Japanese using technology to deal with their ageing population?
Summarize the impacts of ageing populations in 140 characters. Half the class should look at positive impacts, the other half should focus on negative impacts.