I do like to live beside the seaside!
Almost 66% of the world's population lives within 150 km of the coast. [Source]
Task 1: I do like to live beside the seaside
Use the following images to brainstorm why you think that coastal areas are so important. If you click on the images you will be taken to their Flickr site, where you can view them at a larger size.
Task 2: Define 'coast'
If we are studying 'coasts' we need to be able to define the term!
Task 3: Why are coastal areas important?
Click on the images below to see a larger version.
Copy and complete the following table:
|Tourism and Recreation|
Task 4: Cities by the Sea - a collaborative presentation
A mega-city has a population of over 10 million inhabitants. Choose a mega-city located on the coast.
For this task you will be working as a member of a team. Each team will produce a presentation about a coastal mega-city.
Your group's presentation needs to include the following:
- The geographical location of the mega-city.
- The current population of the mega-city.
- How the population of the mega-city has developed over time.
- Why the coast has been historically important for the mega-city.
- Why the coast is currently important for the mega-city.
- Current problems that the coast causes for the mega-city.
- Future coastal issues for the mega-city.
The finished product will include a presentation and a script.