Glacial landscapes map skills
- Statement of inquiry
- Experts need to understand all the processes to understand the whole system and by understanding the whole system one can predict how a system will react to change.
- Factual questions [Remembering facts and topics]
- How can we locate and differentiate elements of the Earth’s surface using direction, scale, latitude, longitude, grid references and area references?
- How can we interpret and analyse topological maps and cross-profiles (sections).
- Conceptual questions [Analysing big ideas]
- Debatable questions [Evaluating perspectives and developing theories]
- Aims of this lesson
Base knowledge and understanding
Matching images to the map
The six images below are all taken in the Ogwen Valley, Snowdonia, North Wales, UK. Can you work out where on a topographical map these photos were taken from? Can you work out which glacial landforms are included in the photos?
There are various online sources of the necessary topographic maps: