Toggle main menu visibility
Maps, Globes and Projections
- Look at Mapping Our World > Lesson 1 > Part A: The Globe Unwrapped.
- What happens to the shapes of the land masses when the globe is flattened into this map?
- Watch Mapping Our World > Lesson 2 > Part A: The Chat Show.
- Who was Gerardus Mercator?
- In which century was he alive?
- When did he produce his map?
- Why did he produce his map?
- Who was Arno Peters?
- When was he alive?
- Which countries or continents seemed to change the most between the two versions?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of each of the maps?
- How would you feel if you looked at a map of the world and saw that your country seemed much smaller than it really was?
- Why is it so difficult to create a 'perfect' map of the world?