Urbanization and the environment
- What kinds of pollution can be a problem for residents of urban areas?
- What is air pollution?
- Using the Wikipedia article on Air Pollution - list 5 causes of air pollution in urban areas.
- What steps can councils/governments take to reduce urban air pollution?
- Produce a case study of the Great London Smog of 1952.
- What (What was it? What did it cause?)
- Where (Where did it happen?)
- When (When did it happen?)
- Why (Why did it happen?)
- Who (Who did something about it?)
Biodiversity in cities
The Guardian - It may not look very inviting [14 August 2003]
- Read the news article: ‘It may not look too inviting’.
- List the environmental indicators that show the River Thames is a ‘clean and healthy’ river.
- The introduction of what in the 1830s caused such a problem for the River Thames?
- What did scientists do in 1957? What does it mean?
- What has helped the River Thames to recover?
- Describe how the ‘agency’ (the Environment Agency) monitors the river?