Squatter settlement case study: Dharavi, Mumbai, India
- Where in the world is Dharavi?
- Describe the location of Dharavi?
- Briefly describe the history of Dharavi?
- What is the current population of Dharavi?
- Describe the industry and economic activities that can be found in Dharavi?
- Using actual quotes and examples – describe what it is like to live in Dharavi?
- Why do some people want to redevelop in Dharavi?
- Describe the planned redevelopment of Dharavi?
- What criticisms have there been of the planned redevelopment of Dharavi?
- What alternative projects have been suggested to improve Dharavi, other than its complete destruction?
- Which proposed project – the building of a new town on the site or the improvement of the current shanty town – do you think is the best and why?
- Give three pieces of map evidence which suggest that this area is part of a squatter settlement and not occupied by high cost housing. [3 marks]
- Suggest why many people living in rural areas in developing countries made the decision to migrate to urban settlements such as Dhaka. [5 marks]
- Describe what has been done to improve the quality of life in squatter settlements in developing countries. You should refer to examples which you have studied to illustrate your answer. [7 marks]