Population vs Resources
Watch the following video clip. How is the situation in the video clip explained by a conflict between population and resources?
So ... how does this cartoon relate to the situation?
- Define the following terms:
- Optimum Population
- Carrying Capacity
- Complete this table to summarise the academic work of Malthus and Boserup.
|Thomas Malthus||Ester Boserup|
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth|
|Outlook on the Population vs. Resources Situation||Pessimist or Optimist||Pessimist or Optimist|
|Describe the Graphical Representation of Their Theory|
|Major Academic Work||An Essay on the Principles of Population||The Conditions of Agricultural Growth: The Economics of Agrarian Change under Population Pressure|
|Date of Publication|
|Key Quote from Major Academic Work|
- Do you think there has been a Malthusian global population vs. resources situation? Give examples in your answer.
- How do you think that Boserup’s theories could manifest themselves in the future?
- What are you? A Malthusian or a Boserupian? Explain you answer?
Have a go at producing a plan for this longer response exam question. Think about the keywords you would use? Would you use a diagram? What examples could you use?
Overpopulation occurs when there are too many people living in an area for the resources which are available. Explain how the relationship between population and resources can cause overpopulation? You should use examples were possible [7 Marks ]