- Complete the following glossary of terms:
Birth rate | Death rate | Life expectancy | Declining | Middle Age | Older Age | Dependency ratio | Concave | Convex | Population pyramid
- A graphic method of illustrating the age and sex structure of a population.
- Curving outwards.
- The number of births, per year, per 1000 people in the population.
- The ratio between those in the non-economically active age group (taken to be children under 15 and adults over 65) and those in the economically active age group (15 to 64).
- To become smaller, weaker, or less important.
- Subjectively: 40 – 64 years old.
- Curving inwards.
- The number of deaths, per year, per 1000 people in the population.
- Subjectively: 65 + years old.
- Average number of years a person at birth can expect to live.
- Use populationpyramid.net to find a population pyramid for each of the the following countries:
- United Kingdom
- Which of the following stages do you think that each country's population pyramid fits into?
For a more in depth look at the subject ...