Global population growth
How fast is the world's population increasing? What are the components of the increase? Think about both births and deaths!
Use the Countdown Timer at ClassTools.net to set a certain time (30 seconds should be about right) for everybody in the class to decide what the world's population will be at the end of the lesson. Record all the predictions - the closest to the answer at the end of the lesson should get a prize.
- What is the estimated global population today?
- What was the estimated global population when you were born?
- What was the estimated global population when your parents were born?
- Complete the table below:
|Date||Global Population (Billion)||Time Interval (Year)|
- Download and print the 'Global Population Graph Paper’ from this webpage. By hand, plot the data from the table above onto your graph paper and then use your graph to help you fill in the two boxes with '????' in.
- Using ‘Historic and Future Global Population Growth’ describe the overall pattern of Global Population Growth.
- Using ‘Historic and Future Global Population Growth’ describe the contribution the ‘Less developed countries’ make to Global Population Growth.
- Using ‘Historic and Future Global Population Growth’ describe the contribution the ‘More developed countries’ make to Global Population Growth.
- The world’s population is not growing in a uniform way. Some regions of the world are contributing more to Global Population Growth. How has the Global Distribution of Population changed since 1800?