Some volcano related fun ...
Build a model of a volcanovolcano_model
Once you made constructed your model label on the following parts of a volcano:
- Magma Chamber
- Main Vent
- Subsidiary Vent
- Layers of ash and lava
Types of volcano
Use the Volcano World website (linked to below) to find out what type of volcano the following are. These are the volcanoes that you added to a world map (minus two) - so add this information to the world map. Composite volcanoes are also known as stratovolcanoes.
- Avachinsky-Koryaksky, Kamchatka, Russia
- Colima, Jalisco and Colima, Mexico
- Mount Etna, Sicily, Italy
- Galeras, Nariño, Colombia
- Mauna Loa, Hawaii, USA
- Mount Merapi, Central Java, Indonesia
- Mount Nyiragongo, Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Mount Rainier, Washington, US
- Sakurajima, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan
- Santorini, Cyclades, Greece
- Taal Volcano, Luzon, Philippines
- Ulawun, New Britain, Papua New Guinea
- Mount Unzen, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan
- Vesuvius, Naples, Italy
You also need to use the Volcano World website to find examples of a Fissure volcano (aka Fissure Vent), Dome volcano (aka Lava Dome) and Ash-cinder volcano (aka Cinder Cone) and add these to your world map.
Types of volcanic eruption
Watch the following video clip - what types of volcanic eruption can you observe?
Use an online video sharing resource such as YouTube to find video examples of as many of the different types of eruption as possible.