Earthquakes - Managing the hazard
Building design → Bam Earthquake, Iran, 2003
- For the Bam Earthquake that happened in 2003 write a one sentence summary under each of the following subheadings: [Hint: Try using Wikipedia or the BBC News as your source of information. The first one has been done for you.]
|What happened||An earthquake that measured 6.7 on the Richter Scale destroyed 70% of the modern city of Bam.|
|When did it happen|
|Where did it happen|
|Why did it happen|
|Who was affected by it happening|
Some 80% of Bam has been destroyed: the city's famous mud-brick constructions collapsed quickly - and crucially left no life-saving air pockets for those crushed as they slept, just suffocating dust.
A number of techniques can be used to make houses withstand earthquakes better:
- Hollow concrete brick designed to cause minimal damage
- Reinforced cement concrete roof
- Stone foundations made from rubble from destroyed houses
- Reinforced steel corner pillars provide strength and flexibility
- Describe why the traditional houses in Bam collapsed during the earthquake.
Building design → Using technology
- What is ‘QuakeWrap’ and how does it help manage the impacts of an earthquake?
- What is this device? How does it help manage the impact of an earthquake?
- What is this product? How does it help manage the impact of an earthquake?
Hazard management through education > Earthquake drills
- What is ‘Duck, Cover and Hold’?
- Describe and explain the role of education in earthquake management. [7 marks]