Task One: Global rainforest distribution
- Using the map of global biomes (above) mark onto a blank world map the location of 'Tropical forest'. Ensure that your map has a title and a key. Add to your map the location of the Brazilian city of Manuas.
Task Two: Rainforest ecosystem climate graph
- Produce a climate graph for Manuas (Brazil) either by hand or using Excel. Steps to help you produce a climate graph in Excel can be found below. Rainfall data can be found here and temperature data can be found here.
Task Three: Climate graph analysis
- Answer the following questions, using your climate graph:
- Which is the hottest month?
- What is the mean temperature of the hottest month?
- Which is the coolest month?
- What is the mean temperature of the coolest month?
- What is the annual temperature range?
- Which is the wettest month?
- How much rainfall does the wettest month receive?
- Which is the driest month?
- How much rainfall does the driest month receive?
- Describe and explain the season distribution of temperature and rainfall.
Task Four: Video and note making
- Watch the BBC Planet Earth Jungles DVD using the following worksheet to help your structure your notes.
- Using only evidence from the diagram above, describe three characteristics of the natural vegetation in areas of tropical rainforest. [3 Marks]
- Explain the relationship between the natural vegetation characteristics and the climate of the tropical rainforest. [4 Marks]