- List five conditions required for the development of sand dunes.
- Describe the structure of a sand dune system.
Plant succession in a sand dune
- What is a quadrat?
- What characteristics of the sand dunes could be measured using a quadrat?
- Using the series of images of a sand dune succession complete the following table. If you click on the images (on the website) you can see a larger version.
|Distance from start of transect (metres)
|% Bare Sand
|Number of Different Plant Species Found
Images Sourced from the British Ecological Society's Education website.
- Plot a graph that shows how the percentage of bare sand changes with distance from the start of the transect. Describe and explain the pattern that the graph shows.
- Plot a graph that shows how the number of different plant species observed changes with distance from the start of the transect. Describe and explain the pattern that the graph shows.
Have a look at the following photos. What do they show? Can you describe how they link to what you have learnt about Sand Dunes? Could you describe what the images show, using the correct geographical terminology, if the images were presented to you in an exam?