ee.4.4 Global climate change in extreme environments - Iceland
- Geographic inquiry and concept(s)
- Future possibilities for managing extreme environments and their communities
- Geographic knowledge and understanding
- The impacts and management of global climate change in extreme environments, including adaptation by local populations
- Case study or detailed examples
- Neither required by the syllabus
Base knowledge and understanding
Reykjavík Grapevine - Iceland Thaws: The Glaciers Are Melting – What Does It Mean For Iceland? [31 January 2019]
Something to listen to
BBC Radio 4 - Costing the Earth - The Ice in Iceland [30 minutes]
The impacts of global climate change in Iceland
Examine how climate change is impacting processes in Iceland.
The management of global climate change in Iceland
Examine the power that Iceland has to manage the climatic change that is impacting them.
The adaptation by local populations to global climate change in Iceland
Can we still be Icelandic in Iceland without ice?
TED Fellows - Iceland’s glacier communities’ stories help us navigate a changing planet [5 February 2019]
Reuters - In Iceland, global warming no longer a joke: president [10 March 2018]
Examine the adaptation of the local population to the consequences of climate change in an extreme environment.