ep.06 Locate and differentiate elements of the Earth’s surface - aka Map skills
Table of contents
What do you need to understanding?
|Locate and differentiate elements of the Earth’s surface||Using:|
→ grid references and area references
→ latitude [general geographical knowledge]
→ longitude [general geographical knowledge]
→ political units [general geographical knowledge]
|Interpret [height / using the legend], analyse ...||→ topographic maps|
"in the area south of gridline 62"May 2011
"State the direction of flow of the Phungi Khela river at A"November 2018
"Identify one landform of glacial erosion in square 3415."November 2017
"Identify the economic activities located at 760122 and 736133."May 2015
"Estimate the distance, in km, between X and Y on the map."November 2019
"State the height in metres of the highest point north of the Oued Tensift river."November 2017
Using the legend to aid interpretation
"Identify the vegetation types found at A and B."May 2013
"Using map evidence..."
- Nov 2020 - Outline how one piece of map evidence indicates that...
- May 2019 - Using map evidence, state why...
- Nov 2018 - Using map evidence, outline one reason why...
Exam style questions
- State the overall direction of flow of the Rio Grande de Santiago from La Presa to the Pacific Ocean.
- Briefly describe two natural features of the river Rio Grande de Santiago downstream from the settlement of La Presa (grid square 3721).
- Identify the 'cultural characteristic' that is found at 371183.
- Estimate the distance, in metres, from Isla el Conde (in grid square 3619) to El Corte (in grid square 3720).
- State the highest height on the map and grid square it is found in.
Using the legend and 'map evidence'
- Referring to map evidence, suggest two ways in which local people might benefit economically from this area’s wetlands.