Risk and risk assessment
Analysis of risk
- Examine the relationships between the degree of risk posed by a hazard and the probability of a hazard event occurring, the predicted losses and a community’s preparedness for it.
- Explain the reasons why individuals and communities often underestimate the probability of hazard events occurring.
- Discuss the factors that determine an individual’s perception of the risk posed by hazards.
Hazard event prediction
- Examine the methods used to make estimates (predictions) of the probability (in time and space) of hazard events occurring, and of their potential impact on lives and property.
- Discuss these methods by examining case studies relating to two different hazard types.